About Me

A mom of one (so far) and a wife to an Irishman. I LOVE to cook - but most of all I love my job as a mother. And as a mom I have become very conscious of my health & nutrition and that of my family and feel the best way I can help is to make sure I prepare good healthy foods. When I'm not cooking, cleaning or having fun with Aodhan, I am doing hair! And I love it. It's another way I can get creative and make people happy. (see more in the "my turn around" post.)

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Butterrnut Risotta with Baked Chicken

The Butternut Squash Risotto can actually be served as a main entree - but I used it as a side instead. So it's up to you! But this dish was LOVED by my husband & son! Aodhan ate all that was on his plate!



2 cups of water, divided
3 1/2 cups beef broth - low sodium
3 tbsp Olive oil
1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1 12 oz bag of Butternut Squash, cubed, from Trader Joe's (or 1 1/2 cups of peeled, cubed in 3/4" squares)
***If you want to serve this dish as an entree, double the amount of squash!
2 cups sliced cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup peas
1 1/2 cup Risotto
1/2 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 tbsp butter
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp of finely chopped parsley

4-6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
season with garlic, salt & pepper
*optional - add a soy-orange glaze over your chicken (1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce 3-4tbsp orange marmalade. sauce should be thick - not too sweet, not too salty)

OK - you will have three things going on at the same time. Your chicken, broth pot, and the veggie risotto pot.
So first:
Heat your oven to 400
Spray cooking spray in a casserole dish. Add your chicken and season. (Add glaze, if desired) Cover in aluminum foil and bake. like 50 minutes - but check it - depends on the size of the chicken thighs. Turn your chicken half way through. the last 3 minutes of cooking, turn the oven to Broil, and take off the foil.

While your chicken is going:
In a large saucepan, heat to a simmer - don't boil- the beef broth and 1 1/2 cups of water.
In a Dutch oven, heat olive oil and add onions. Cook til golden brown.
Add 1/2 cup of water , squash, salt & pepper. Cook until squash has softened.
Add peas.
Add risotto and 1/2 cup of broth mixture. Stir continuously until all water is absorbed.
Keep adding 1/2 cup of broth at a time, each time waiting until all water is absorbed.
The last 1.2 cup of broth you add, also add the tomatoes.
Once all water is absorbed, add the butter, Parmesan cheese and parsley.
Cover until chicken is ready and serve!

1 comment:

  1. This looks amazing! Looking forward to autumn recipes, I always go to butternut squash after summer. Definitely making this!

    ReplyDelete