About Me

A mom of one (so far) and a wife to an Irishman. I LOVE to cook - but most of all I love my job as a mother. And as a mom I have become very conscious of my health & nutrition and that of my family and feel the best way I can help is to make sure I prepare good healthy foods. When I'm not cooking, cleaning or having fun with Aodhan, I am doing hair! And I love it. It's another way I can get creative and make people happy. (see more in the "my turn around" post.)

Friday, April 30, 2010

Ceviche Peruano

So, my mom is Peruvian. And it's how I know this recipe. And it is SO good!!! So EASY to make, and inexpensive. Great for parties - it's a unique dish and people love it!

1 pound of tilapia
1 pound of uncooked shrimp
6 large, 8 medium or 10 small lemons
1 red onion - sliced into thin strips
2-3 tbsp minced garlic
1/4 cup of parsley
1/4 cup cilantro
Salt & Pepper to taste
for spicy - grated Serrano pepper - no seeds
(I make mine non-spicy - I can always add hot sauce later if I want. For large groups I never add the spicy since not everyone likes spicy)

Squeeze all your lemons and dump juice into a large serving bowl.
Peel all the shrimp and cut in half and cut all your Tilapia into bite sized chunks. Add to the lemon juice.
Add onion, garlic, parsley and cilantro to the fish.
Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator for at least an hour or two. Until fish is opaque and firm. (The acids of the lemon juice cook the fish).
Add salt and pepper to taste.
For spicy, add the grated Serrano to the lemon juice - blend well - with a whisk or a hand blender/mixer. Then add all your ingredients.

Traditionally, in the Peruvian culture, you would serve this on a leaf of lettuce, surrounded with slices or corn and sweet potato. The sweet of the corn and potatoes are meant to conteract the tartness of the ceviche. I normally just serve mine with tortilla chips. But it's up to you!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment