About Me

A mom of one (so far) and a wife to an Irishman. I LOVE to cook - but most of all I love my job as a mother. And as a mom I have become very conscious of my health & nutrition and that of my family and feel the best way I can help is to make sure I prepare good healthy foods. When I'm not cooking, cleaning or having fun with Aodhan, I am doing hair! And I love it. It's another way I can get creative and make people happy. (see more in the "my turn around" post.)

Monday, April 26, 2010

Italian Meatloaf

I can't believe I had yet to make meatloaf in the time I've known Philip. This was a common staple in our home growing up. (My mom is half Peruvian and half Italian) Meatloaf was a little different though when my mom made it - it was a combination of her 2 cultures - and her recipe included raisins and peas. Which I would have added this time, but wanted to try it without.

1-2 cups of boiling water (amount doesn't matter really)
1/2-1 cup of Sun-dried Tomatoes, dry (not packed in oil)
1 cup of ketchup split into 2 half cups
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 large onion finely chopped
1/2 cup basil (fresh or dried)
1/2 cup of shredded low fat Mozzarella Cheese (or Italian Cheese blend)
2 large egg whites (I used a 1/2 cup of my All Egg Whites carton)
1 tbsp of minced garlic - and 2 tsp of garlic powder
1 pound of 4% fat Ground Beef or 1 pound of Ground Turkey

1. Boil water and pour into a bowl. Throw in your Sun-dried Tomatoes - get them soft. Let them sit while you combine the rest.

2. Preheat your oven - 350.
3. Combine 1/2 cup of the Ketchup and the next seven ingredients in a large bowl and mix with your hands.
4. Remove your sin-dried tomatoes and chop them and add them to your mixture. Mix well.
5. Spray a broiler pan and shape the meat mixture into a loaf shape. Use the other 1/2 cup of ketchup to coat it. Sprinkle some garlic powder all over it.
6. Cook in the over for 50 minutes or until your meat thermometer says 160. Don't use your little beverage thermometer - I did and I melted the face of it. Idiot.

In the future, I may add the peas, and instead of ketchup, make a veggie tomato sauce (tomato sauce with squash zucchini, broccoli and mushrooms added to it) and may even finely (and I mean finely!) chop yellow squash and green beans and throw it in there! Anything to get more veggies in him!

No comments:

Post a Comment